The Minister of
Addressing participants at an interactive session on the PIB, the Minister who was represented by Mr. Jonathan Okehs, Group General Manager, National Petroleum Investment Management Services, NAPIMS, also said that if the reforms in the sector are carried out effectively,
She said, "Today,
"Adhering to the principles advocated,
According to the Minister, the PIB will create a deregulated and competitive petroleum sector that will attract foreign and local investments. It will also ensure a viable commercial framework including a tariff regime that promotes transparency, guarantees security of investments and a reasonable rate of return on investments, she added.
Also speaking, the Vice President of the
According to him, the PIB must make provisions that recognise and uphold the interests and welfare of organised labour and workers represented by PENGASSAN and NUPENG.
"The bill must ensure that all companies operating in the Nigerian oil and gas industry complied with all international labour conventions that have been ratified by
"The bill must ensure that companies operating in the oil and gas industry do not use the PIB as a ploy to disengage Nigerians. To this end, the PIB should give the regulatory agencies the power to protect the jobs of Nigerians working in the oil and gas industry such that no Nigerian will be relieved of his/her job without the approval in writing of the regulator," he said.
Aremu further said that the PIB must ensure the strengthening of the Nigerian Content Act and policies, especially as it relates to labour, training and manpower development.
"It must ensure the mandatory recognition of the right to freedom of association and effective collective bargaining by all companies operating or doing business in the Nigerian oil and gas industry irrespective of where they are located," he added.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Celebrities Vow Revenge on Hackers Who Posted Photos