Airbus Defence and Space, in partnership with HisdeSAT, has announced a Radar Constellation Challenge, in order to encourage the development of innovative application ideas using radar satellite imagery. The initiative is part of the Earth monitoring
The focus of the challenge is the creative utilization of high-resolution SAR (synthetic aperture radar) data specifically from the upcoming TerraSAR-X / TanDEM-X and PAZ constellation.
Starting in late 2014, the Spanish PAZ satellite (built by Airbus Defence and Space, and owned and operated by HisdeSAT) will join the twin radar satellites TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X in the same orbital plane. In combination with the identical imaging modes offered by all three satellites, this concept will make possible leveraging the potential of a satellite constellation with high revisit rates, increased coverage, improved service.
However, data integration from other sources - including satellite imagery from other commercial or public sensors - will also be considered. Airbus Defence and Space and HisdeSAT are in particular calling for creative ideas addressing maritime monitoring, security, or change detection applications.
Submissions will, among other factors, be evaluated for their innovation, as well as their potential customer and economic benefits. Their ability to integrate SAR satellite data will be taken into consideration, as will their relevance to the Copernicus programme.
The annual Copernicus Masters competition has since 2011 been awarding prizes to innovative solutions for business and society based on Earth observation data. The competition takes place within the framework of the European Copernicus programme (formerly known as GMES - Global Monitoring for Environment and Security), designed to create a modern, capable infrastructure for Earth observation and geo-information services.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go