LENDING to businesses is rising sluggishly while the latest mortgage lending figures showed yesterday that the new regulatory efforts are helping to cool the growth of credit for housing.
Figures from the
At the same time, the number of mortgage applications for house buyers fell from April's 41,934 to 41,757.
But the number of mortgages approved for purchases is up signifi-cantly from 36,102 in May last year. Gross mortgage borrowing was up by 26 per cent on May last year, to £11.1bn.
The figures come ahead of a decision from the Bank of
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting