In its Adding up the Benefits report released late Monday, the international development lender put the annual global economic benefit at more than
It also said that more than 1 million lives would be saved.
"The report's findings show clearly that the right policy choices can deliver significant benefits to lives, jobs, crops, energy and GDP," said
The report focused on the world's two greatest emitters of greenhouse gasses - the US and
In general, the
A year ago, in its Turn Down the Heat report, the
Climate scientists say that the world faces temperature increases of 4 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels by the end of century if no preventative action is taken.
The only way to avoid drastic rises in sea level and lethal drought is to keep that increase to 2 degrees or less, they say.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Hispanic NASCAR Driver Ready to Make History
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Bank of America Agrees to Pay Record $16.65 Billion
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Family Dollar Will Stick With Dollar Tree