TOUGH new affordability checks have knocked mortgage lending, Bank of
Lending is still growing, but at a slightly slower pace after the mortgage market review (MMR) rules came into force in April.
The number of banks reporting rising demand for prime mortgages outweighed those reporting a fall by a margin of 27.5 per cent in the second quarter - down from 27.8 per cent in the quarter before, and from 62 per cent in the final three months of 2013.
And the Bank of
Meanwhile investors fled from building companies yesterday, fearing a slowdown in the housing market after Bank of
Remortgaging has also slowed down. The value of the loans in May fell 15 per cent on the year to £3.3bn, the lowest level seen since
"Remortgaging continues to lead the market slowdown as lenders tighten their lending criteria, pre-empting any government cap to tackle concerns about an overheated mortgage market," said
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel