During their quarantine period, the elephants had access to five stalls inside the elephant barn and one off-exhibit outdoor yard. Today, the elephants explored an outdoor portion of their new habitat. Based on behavioral cues, the Zoo staff will gradually introduce the females to the Zoo's original elephants. The Zoo anticipates that the herd will form a social group like those found in the wild. Although the two groups of elephants were not able to physically interact while the females from
The Zoo's Elephant Trails exhibit was designed in keeping with the best practices for Asian-elephant management and can accommodate a multigenerational herd. It includes space for socializing, enrichment training and playing. The facility can house eight to 10 adult elephants and their young.
Kamala and Swarna were born around 1975 in
The Zoo will continue to provide updates on the elephants on
For additional information about the Zoo's elephants, visit the online press kit, which includes the new elephants' biographies.
TNS 30BautistaJude 140624-4775538 30BautistaJude
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go