Most of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves, contributing to the lackluster close by the broader markets.
Gold stocks turned in a strong performance, however, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index advancing by 1.6%. With the gain, the index reached its best closing level in three months.
The strength in the gold sector came amid a modest increase by the price of the precious metal, as gold for August delivery rose
Steel and internet stocks also moved to the upside on the day, although buying interest remained relatively subdued.
Meanwhile, substantial weakness was visible among tobacco stocks, as reflected by the 1.9% loss posted by the NYSE Arca Tobacco Index.
Airline, trucking, and biotech stocks also saw some weakness, offsetting the strength seen in the aforementioned sectors.
The major averages ended the day mixed, although they were all nearly flat. While the Nasdaq inched up 0.64 points or less than 0.1% to 4,368.68, the Dow slipped 9.82 points or 0.1% to 16,937.26 and the S&P 500 edged down 0.26 points or less than 0.1% to 1,962.61.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth