Traffic congestion at midday on
Google Maps says it should take about 20 minutes to drive from
With more than 19 million citizens living in the greater
Spending time in traffic isn’t just frustrating, it is also costing Egyptians money, the
Congestion reflects on Cairo’s business life as well, the
Transport is dominated by private cars, which comprises around 55% of the area. Taxis comprise a further 24% of the vehicles while micro- and mini-buses represent 14% of vehicles on the road. Big buses represent 2%, while small and heavy trucks comprise 5.3% of the total vehicles.
The traffic dilemma
Main roads witness traffic volumes ranging between 3,000 to 7,000 vehicles per hour, according to the report.
"During peak periods, average speeds on sampled surface streets are between 6km to 25km per hour," the
Due to the traffic congestion, which is maintained most of the day, road travel in the greater
Road design, such as physical bottlenecks, u-turns and poor road surface quality contribute to the traffic congestion, according to the
Other contributing factors are represented in the poor observation and enforcement of traffic laws, the limited parking spots and traffic influencing events, such as road accidents and vehicle breakdowns.
The economic costs of traffic
"Wasted fuel is another contributor to costs (14%), both in terms of its cost to the government due to the subsidy and the direct cost to users," the
"Suppressed demand and the impacts on demand for housing together constitute about 3% of total costs," according to the report.
Economic costs are expected to reach
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- EU Finance Ministers Discuss Investment Plan
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Will Apple's Digital Wallet Conquer the Card Swipe?
- Apple Reportedly Spent $100MM for Free U2 Album from iTunes
- Olive Garden's Breadsticks Targeted by Activist Investor