Briarbrook Auctions in
Since 1950, the academy has prohibited Oscar recipients and their heirs from selling the golden statuettes without first offering them back to the academy for
The Oscar was awarded to
Wright died in 1985, and his nephew inherited the award.
The auctioneer had estimated it would sell for
The statuette weighs around 6 pounds and is 13 inches high. The auctioneer said it is in good condition, with just a little wear at the back.
Wright received 12 Academy Award nominations and won twice, both in 1942 and both shared with
Wright also was nominated for his work on movies including "Days of Wine and Roses," ''Guys and Dolls" and the "Man With the Golden Arm."
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Hispanic NASCAR Driver Ready to Make History
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Bank of America Agrees to Pay Record $16.65 Billion
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Stocks Moving Higher Again for 4th Day
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight