A biannual exhibition for design, arts and crafts, Afkart was bustling all weekend with returning Gulf tourists gobbling up "Made in
With the exception of a few well-established participants, Afkart tends to be made up of small-scale creators, whose handmade wares – such as silk-screen T-shirts and neon plastic jewelry – are more about catering to the trends rather than setting them. The adornment du jour revealed itself in the variety of gilt laurel leaves and ringlets of artificial flowers at nearly every accessories stand.
Sarah Houjaij, the creator behind Femme Funky, said she had stayed up well beyond the market's
"I had so many more designs, but I've sold out," she said with an air of happy exhaustion. Her dangling headpieces came in two general forms: ones that pin to the hair and circlets that rest on the top of the head.
Greco-Roman themes have characterized these tiaras since they started popping up at design fairs in
Among the first jewelry makers to create costume tiaras,
Whatever the tiaras' origins, said
"Maybe it's the trend from 'Harim al-Sultan.' It's a very popular series," she said. Her own gold-dipped copper pieces attracted a stream of buyers from
The same influences that led to the tiara trend have also given rise to warrior-themed metal accessories such as thick cuffs and stiff neckwear closer to armored gorgets than typical chain-and-pendant necklaces.
"The trend is for a rigid necklace."
Even more whimsical than a golden crown of butterflies was the summertime evolution of the tiara: a ringlet of artificial flowers. Accessory designer
Baroudi wasn't the only one peddling a vestige of childhood as a modern woman's accessory. Young designers
"I wanted to be like a
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Discounts Help U.S. Auto Sales Sizzle in July
- Recruiting and Keeping the Perfect Employee
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA
- Colorado Issuing Immigrant Driver's Licenses
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Dow Wipes Out Gains for the Year: What Happens Now?
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Fiat Looks Abroad After Chrysler Merger Vote