Snape Maltings' concert hall is unquestionably the heart of the Aldeburgh festival, and its fine acoustic further enhanced the brilliant playing of soloists of the
In his recital on the small stage of Jubilee Hall, accordionist
Meanwhile, the newest,
There was more virtuosity again at Aldeburgh's parish church, where the harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani embraced music from early 17th-century Bull and Gibbons to Bartok and Ligeti. In the latter's Continuum, seeing the effort expended was like watching someone pushing himself to the limit on a weight-machine in a gym, with an added aesthetic agenda. Esfahani's disarming ability to talk his listeners through the before-and-after of the experience matched his extraordinary technique.
The festival continues until Sunday. Box office: 01728 687110.
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007