The company declared that the first Scripps Florida spin-off has attracted
West Palm Beach-based Tyrogenex is developing a once-a-day pill for patients with age-related macular degeneration. The company's early studies are indicating that the drug is better tolerated by patients at higher doses than present drugs, which can affect heart and kidney function.
Tyrogenex is part of a company established by successful entrepreneur
The financing will go toward further clinical development of the therapy for ophthalmology as well as for cancer patients, Calhoun said. The company stated Tyrogenex's compound also is showing anti-tumor activities in studies.
Tyrogenex, which hires approximately 10 people in West Palm, was introduced to Brace Pharma by one of its scientific advisers, she said. Brace is the U.S. investment company of
She said, "They are an equity investor. They have a seat on the board and a window on what's happening in the company .
Tyrogenex entered clinical trials on its drug in 2010, and it was well tolerated by patients, Calhoun said.
She said, "We've seen really exciting results . 70% of patients on lower doses did not need injections for six months. At higher doses, researchers found dramatic reductions in fluid in the retina.
The company is still 4 or 5 years away from seeking
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Hispanic NASCAR Driver Ready to Make History
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Bank of America Agrees to Pay Record $16.65 Billion
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight
- Stocks Moving Higher Again for 4th Day