They pass themselves off as voluntary organisations that serve people mainly in the developing world in the social services sector, but their proliferation over the past 20 years shows that they are embedded in the expansion of global white capital throughout the world.
NGOs are as much a part of capitalism as the neo-liberal economic prescriptions from the
The economic prescriptions from the two
When the State moves out of these sectors, the void left is conveniently filled by the western-sponsored NGOs that take over the government's role of looking after the citizens.
The ultimate objective being to alienate the citizen from the 'uncaring' government.
This may all seem harmless since these philanthropic organisations are, after all, "non-governmental."
The plot is, however, much uglier as the NGOs are intrinsically linked to the governments in their home countries, which is why some scholars have likened them to latter day missionaries as they facilitate neo-colonialism.
Nowhere has this reading of NGOs been more apparent than in
A move that has not helped matters or the citizens they purport to serve.
To this end, we welcome the advice given to the Zimbabwean NGO community by
The EU ambassador rebuked the NGOs for "living in the past" saying, "The civil society has a role to play but I have the impression that you are a little bit anchored to the past where instead of seeing NGOs one perceives AGOs,
We couldn't agree more.
Indeed the NGOs must move from the sordid past of dabbling in opposition politics and focus on the terms of reference of their registration.
But surely did it have to take an outsider to knock sense into the heads of the brothers and sisters in the NGO community?
The onus is on us to build and defend our country.
In light of the destructive engagement we have seen from the NGO community over the past 15 years, there may be a strong case for leadership renewal within the NGO sector if there is to be a paradigm shift towards constructive engagement.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore