Interest rate risk poses a significant threat to the credit union system, and the
The new page includes videos, charts showing trends that affect interest rate risk, and links to NCUA regulations and letters to credit unions, interagency guidance, and best practice resources. NCUA's newest video about interest rate risk and the questions credit unions should answer is also posted on the resource page and NCUA's YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/NCUAchannel).
NCUA Board Chairman
"We are in a very unusual rate environment," Matz said. "The credit union system is faced with extraordinary interest rate risk challenges. At the same time, there have been significant shifts in the composition of assets and liabilities over the past several years.
"In the event of a rapid change in interest rates, the result at some credit unions would be stressed earnings and the possibility of large declines in economic value. While we are aware that many credit unions are well positioned to manage this risk, there are others that have potentially excessive exposure to interest rate risk that could result in losses to the entire system."
"A critical emerging risk is the way credit unions are using their investment portfolios," said NCUA Chief Economist
TNS 30FurigayJane140621-4775252 30FurigayJof
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges