"It will be voluntary but we hope that both companies and countries will see the sense in what we are proposing,"
"We are planning to propose it in September."
Halting the burning of about 140 billion cubic meters of gas globally every year would reduce carbon-dioxide emissions equivalent to taking about 70 million cars off the roads.
It's proposing to pump gas to
"That would be a big step forward for the world," Dudley added. He downplayed the
"Zero is like saying never or nothing," he said. "So that's probably not realistic, that's an aspiration to go."
"According to satellite data
"We're working on calibrating the flares" to get reliable results, said Bjorn Hamso, program manager. Preliminary results show the US share of flaring is growing after a surge in its oil and gas production.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration
- Eric Holder Arrives in Ferguson