"It will be voluntary but we hope that both companies and countries will see the sense in what we are proposing,"
"We are planning to propose it in September."
Halting the burning of about 140 billion cubic meters of gas globally every year would reduce carbon-dioxide emissions equivalent to taking about 70 million cars off the roads.
It's proposing to pump gas to
"That would be a big step forward for the world," Dudley added. He downplayed the
"Zero is like saying never or nothing," he said. "So that's probably not realistic, that's an aspiration to go."
"According to satellite data
"We're working on calibrating the flares" to get reliable results, said Bjorn Hamso, program manager. Preliminary results show the US share of flaring is growing after a surge in its oil and gas production.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy