"It will be voluntary but we hope that both companies and countries will see the sense in what we are proposing,"
"We are planning to propose it in September."
Halting the burning of about 140 billion cubic meters of gas globally every year would reduce carbon-dioxide emissions equivalent to taking about 70 million cars off the roads.
It's proposing to pump gas to
"That would be a big step forward for the world," Dudley added. He downplayed the
"Zero is like saying never or nothing," he said. "So that's probably not realistic, that's an aspiration to go."
"According to satellite data
"We're working on calibrating the flares" to get reliable results, said Bjorn Hamso, program manager. Preliminary results show the US share of flaring is growing after a surge in its oil and gas production.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges