As it stands today, the available bandwidth in
However, according to NigerianCommunications Week, many Nigerians are still without a drop of the roaringocean; they still have to contend with unreliable, slow and very expensiveinternet services.
This is a typical case of starvingin the midst of plenty. Those that do not have broadband access wonder why somuch emphasis is placed on availability and why Internet access is soimportant.
The white noise about broadbandinternet began with the ambitious projects launched by Main One and Glo 1; Twohome grown companies driven by patriotism to make internet truly ubiquities andaffordable.
Elsewhere, the West African CableSystem (WACS), an initiative operated by nine countries (including
Before the flood of undersea cablesystems, the only cable system serving
There is also the ACE submarinecable system covering
Last mile infrastructure is thattransmission infrastructure telecommunications operators use to deliverservices to potential subscribers at their domains.
Basically, infrastructure requiredin this regard includes optic fiber and microwave.
Apart from the absence of last mileinfrastructure, the obstacles confronting broadband penetration in
They include, lack of policyframework for broadband infrastructure development;
As a matter of fact, about 70 percent of the problems encountered by the telecom sector with its broadimplications for development of broadband infrastructure are public powersupply related.
The recent activities and threat ofthe Boko Haram, the Islamist fundamentalist sect in the northern parts of thecountry has also conspired to limit investments in some places in the region.
Broadband is the next big thing andNigeria cannot afford to lag behind.
Broadband represents hugeopportunities for social and economic progress of
The government should release thedigital dividend spectrum to deliver broadband services to rural areas andreduce the tax level faced by Nigerian mobile operators.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go