As part of the efforts to promote Information Technology (IT) Education in the country, the
He said that the theme of the assembly which was on "Harnessing the Potentials of IT Professionals for National Development" is timely and strategic as it aligns with the current drive by the Federal Government to integrate ICT into every sector of the economy, the education sector in particular.
The Minister, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, MacJohn Nwaobiala said that in the education sector, the Government believes that successful contributions to meeting the Vision 20:2020 are most likely to be made through the development and deployment of ICT in education. He added that this was the reason why the Government decided to establish some initiatives aimed at increasing access through distance learning to bring educational opportunities to the doorsteps of Nigerians of all ages.
"The Ministry has provided requisite ICT infrastructure including access to the internet to all schools under the Ministry's purview as well as increased the number of ICT teachers at Federal Unity Colleges through the introduction of ICT conversion courses for science teachers. Notwithstanding the modest achievements made, there are the challenges of inadequacy of ICT infrastructure, including low bandwidth for internet access, among others," he stated.
While stressing the pivotal role which ICT plays in attaining sustainable development and global competitiveness, the Minister called on the public and private sectors to work together towards addressing the challenges in ICT infrastructure development in the country.
In a welcome address delivered at the occasion, the Chairman of the
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe