Reposted with permission from EcoWatch (http://ecowatch.com/2014/06/19/sustainia100-information-technology-education/)
Editor's note: This is part four of our look at various aspects of the Sustainia100. Here are parts one (http://ecowatch.com/2014/06/16/sustainia-100-sustainable-innovations/), two (http://ecowatch.com/2014/06/17/sustainia100-buildings-cities-innovations/) and three (http://ecowatch.com/2014/06/18/sustainia100-food-health-solutions).
The Information Technology and Education sections of the Sustainia100 are as geographically diverse and innovative as any. These solutions have deployed in airports, the classroom and more.
They have impacted the lives of everybody from farmers to grade-school children.
1. MicroPro Computers (http://micropro.ie/): Recyclable computers slash use of energy and materials
2. Retroficiency (http://www.retroficiency.com/): Software for combatting energy inefficiency in buildings
3. PowWow Energy (https://www.powwowenergy.com/): Smart water leak detection for agriculture
4. Fairphone (https://www.fairphone.com/): The "ethical smartphone"
6. Webstech (http://www.webstech.dk/): Wireless surveillance for crop protection
8. GreenQloud (https://www.greenqloud.com/): Cloud solutions powered by renewable energy
9. Fraunhofer IBP (http://www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/en.html): life-cycle assessment software for designing aircraft
10. Iceotope (http://www.iceotope.com/): Sustainable liquid IT cooling Education
1. Shidhulai Swanirvar Sangstha (http://www.shidhulai.org/): Weathering climate change (http://ecowatch.com/climate-change-news/) with resilient classrooms
3. August and the Victorian State Government (http://www.vic.gov.au/): Personalized data for teaching resource savings
4. Open Source Ecology (http://opensourceecology.org/): Collaborative innovation for an open-source economy
5. GoodGuide (http://www.goodguide.com/): Information that empowers consumer choices
6. Red de Innovacion y Aprendizaje (http://proacceso.org.mx/esp/la-ria-que-es-la-ria/) (RIA) by Fundacion Procceso: Innovative learning spaces bridging the digital divide
9. Lifeline Technologies and Lifeline Energy (http://lifelineenergy.org/our-technology/): Solar and wind-up power delivers education to remote areas
10. Educat (http://www.educat.dk/pe/): Customized teaching accelerates private sector growth
For more information about
TNS 30VianaGem - 140620-1165981
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters
- DOJ Launches Program to Thwart U.S. Extremists