The singer and pop culture star was being handed the group's 2014 Fashion Icon Award. Previous honorees have been Lady Gaga,
Also being honored at the glamorous ceremony at
Winners were being announced at the ceremony, hosted by director and screenwriter
The annual show draws a mix of fashion insiders and
Speaking of Rihanna before the show, designer
"She takes risks and she marches to her own drum and she knows what she likes," Posen told The Associated Press in an interview. "It's been an incredible journey." He recalled meeting the singer at his studio before she launched her first album.
"She was a fashion world novice then," he said, "but obviously she had looks and confidence and little-girl charm. All the ingredients were there for her to be a huge superstar: ambition, strength, and also vulnerability." Rihanna's occasional use of shock value, he said, "has kept her current, and balanced how classically beautiful she is."
Rihanna also has a great appreciation for designers, Posen added: "That's why people love to dress her."
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids