Work will focus on repairs to the roof and windows, addressing water infiltration into the building and contributing to the preservation of the structure.
The Government of Canada recognizes the significance of Province House, which is intrinsically tied to the founding of Canada, and is pleased to announce this investment during the 2014 celebration year in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the
The Government of Canada is proud of its role in protecting and presenting all national historic sites under
• Province House, as the only provincial legislature maintained by
• Province House National Historic Site will play a prominent role throughout 2014 as part of the 150th anniversary celebrations.
• A call for design tenders will be launched during the anniversary year to ensure work can begin as soon as possible. Work will begin after 2014 celebrations conclude.
• A public design competition was launched in 1839 to build a legislative structure for
"Our Government is proud of the investments we have made to support Province House to provide Canadians and visitors the opportunity to connect with our country's heritage. Today's investment of
The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment and Minister responsible for
"Province House National Historic Site is a place where Islanders and visitors alike can immerse themselves in the history of our country. Our Government's investment reinforces our commitment to ensuring the integrity of this building and highlights the value placed on protecting and presenting our nation's heritage."
The Honourable Gail Shea, Member of Parliament for Egmont and Canada's Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
Recent investment in Province House National Historic Site
2011-08-14 Harper Government Restores Birthplace of Confederation
2013-12-27 Province House Ready to Shine For 2014
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids