The new software is designed to look like its iOS operating system used on iPhones and iPads. The new OS sports a new look, a refined toolbar, new notification center features, and a dark mode. Apple VP Craig Federighi took developers at Apple's
Apple users will be able to sync iOS devices and Mac OS X devices using AirDrop file sharing, iMessage messaging, and the ability to make and receive phone calls. The redesign also comes with newly designed icons, which will be seen on the navigational toolbar, also known as the dock.
"You wouldn't believe how much time we spent crafting a trash can," Federighi joked.
Users can use their Macs to now make phone calls, including receiving SMS texts and will have Caller ID on the computer, with the OS being made available to developers Monday and a public launch sometime this fall.
The day started off with Cook highlighting the success of
Apple had been naming its Mac operating systems after big cats before making a change last year using
The WWDC is one of the few events Apple holds every year and gives developers and observers an insight into what the very secretive company is developing. Many analysts predicted that Apple would unveil the iPhone 6 at WWDC but historically the company has focussed on software updates for its devices and left new mobile device announcements for separate events.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records