The Dow Jones industrial average edged up 22 points, or 0.1 percent, to 16,740 in the first few minutes of trading Monday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell less than a point to 1,922. The Nasdaq composite fell nine points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,232.
European markets rose slightly.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.51 percent, up slightly from 2.48 percent late Friday but still near its low for the year.
Most Popular Stories
- Illegal Immigration Near Historic Low, Despite What You May Have Heard
- Small-Business Loans Fueling Economic Growth
- Gasoline Costs Drive Consumer Price Increases
- Saudi Arabia Will Open Stock Market to Foreigners
- Ford: New F-150 Is No Lightweight
- Tesco Head Steps Down After Profit Warning
- Durbin Drubs Walgreen for Possible Tax Dodge
- Want a Job? Try Minneapolis
- Russians Fed Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories
- Comic-Con Offers Toy Designers a Chance to Go Wild