Global Leader, International Public Sector Accounting at Ernst & Young, Mr.
He said transparency in business processes had become a precondition for winning investors in a globally connected and highly competitive world.
He said given that countries are presently globally connected and playing in the same global capital market through investors and donor organisations including the
Referring to recent report by the IMF, he noted that credible and robust financial statements prepared on the basis of internationally accepted accounting standards had become vital to future interactions.
But he said he was "deeply impressed" by the seriousness and ambition by the Nigerian government to align to international best practice adding though there were still setbacks in planning for the future.
He stressed however that training and capacity building was key to achieving success in the reform process.
He said the country could benefit immensely from the full adoption IPSAS because there would be improved transparency on resources and liabilities to help make better decisions "and not to make decisions on the shoulders of future generations."
Berger also said adopting IPSAS could help to "avoid what we call fiscal illusion which is if we make decisions only on short-sighted information; governments today including my country,
According to him, aligning to best practice in public accounting standards would help provide answers as to whether "we poorer or richer after the transaction of the government" as this has to do with transparency and accountability by government.
He added that government decision making needed to go beyond the cash inflow and cash outflow basis.
He said: "
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya