Overall ICT spending in the
In an exclusive interview with our sister publication Gulf daily News (GDN), Huawei Bahrain general manager
"That will be bolstered by projects such as our Middle East IT Competence Centre launched last year in
According to Han, the
The Gulf continues to stand out as one of the most rapidly growing markets for ICT worldwide, he said.
Mobile broadband connections are expected to increase by "a staggering rate" in the coming years, particularly in the GCC.
"Earlier this year the
He noted that there has been encouraging progress in the development of ICT infrastructure locally driven by growing demand for bandwidth and enhanced customer experience.
"Telecom operators and enterprises are also taking a more serious look at the role of IT cloud infrastructure, with
"We think it is equally important that there are developments in terms of fixed broadband - such as fibre to home connectivity," he said.
Regionally fixed broadband has been adopted in some areas, although there has perhaps been slower adoption due to the significant changes in infrastructure required to lay fibre, Han said.
"We observe globally that government policies and even direct investment are of key importance to boosting fibre connectivity.
"When crafting a vision for the "digital economy" of the future, we have seen governments in the
"Many of these governments - including that of
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Short-Term Loans Comes at a Heavy Price
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures