Our news editors obtained a quote from the research, "Proper implementation of tuned mass dampers requires reliable information about the dynamic properties of the structural system. Finite-element models of the structure were constructed and experimentally verified. These models were used to determine the size, frequency, and damping ratio of three tuned mass dampers, two of which targeted the first bending mode of the edge and the remaining one targeted the first bending mode of the tip, for each balcony. The suspensions of the tuned mass dampers were made up of two laminar flow viscous damping units along with eight precompressed helical steel springs. The mass of the tuned dampers were selected as a small percentage of the modal mass of the modes targeted for damping."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "On completion of the tuned mass dampers installation, the effectiveness of the damping solution was evaluated via further testing."
For more information on this research see: Tuned Damping of Balcony Vibration.
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention