Our news editors obtained a quote from the research, "Proper implementation of tuned mass dampers requires reliable information about the dynamic properties of the structural system. Finite-element models of the structure were constructed and experimentally verified. These models were used to determine the size, frequency, and damping ratio of three tuned mass dampers, two of which targeted the first bending mode of the edge and the remaining one targeted the first bending mode of the tip, for each balcony. The suspensions of the tuned mass dampers were made up of two laminar flow viscous damping units along with eight precompressed helical steel springs. The mass of the tuned dampers were selected as a small percentage of the modal mass of the modes targeted for damping."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "On completion of the tuned mass dampers installation, the effectiveness of the damping solution was evaluated via further testing."
For more information on this research see: Tuned Damping of Balcony Vibration.
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go