Lymph node imaging is an essential tool in the context of surgical resection, because cancer spreads first to the lymph nodes, specifically the sentinel lymph nodes, before navigating the bloodstream and developing new malignancies elsewhere in the body. Molecular imaging of these sentinel nodes provides a surgical map that can improve a patient's chances of becoming cancer free.
"We found significantly more sentinel lymph node involvement with SPECT/CT, which altered surgical planning for many of our patients-a finding that was repeated across all malignancies and clinical institutions," said
Study findings showed that SPECT/CT breast cancer imaging caught 13 percent more cancerous sentinel nodes-2,165 nodes versus 1,892 using planar lymphoscintigraphy. The hybrid SPECT system also caught 11.5 percent more sentinel nodes when imaging for melanoma, with 602 versus 532 nodes detected. In addition, 29.2 percent more nodes were imaged using SPECT/CT to detect pelvic cancer-195 nodes found versus 138 with planar imaging.
Changes in surgical planning as dictated by SPECT/CT were substantial-16.9 percent of breast cancer surgeries underwent a change in management, 37 percent of surgeries for melanoma changed and 64.1 percent of surgical plans for pelvic cancer were changed due to detection of additional sentinel nodes. Calculated mismatch between sentinel nodes and lymphatic territories using the two imaging systems was gauged at 17 percent for breast carcinoma, 11.2 percent for melanoma and 50 percent for pelvic imaging. The significantly higher mismatch in pelvic tumors was thought to be due to relatively deeper lymphatic drainage and location of pelvic sentinel nodes.
Cancers are a leading cause of death. The most recent data available shows that cancers were the cause of 8.2 million deaths worldwide in 2012, according to the
Keywords for this news article include: Cancer, Oncology, Melanomas, Nanotechnology, Molecular Imaging, Imaging Technology, Emerging Technologies,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go