Emerging businesses face obstacles that are distinctly different from more well established small businesses. Under the EBE Act, the
To be certified as an EBE, a company must be 10 percent or less the size of the current SBA designation for a small business, which is typically capped at 500 employees. The company must be less than five years old at the time of certification with annual compensation of individuals in management positions not exceeding 200 percent of the annual mean wage for "Management Occupations" defined by the
Emerging businesses often have trouble securing federal contracts. The EBE Act seeks to expand opportunities by requiring federal agencies to set contracting goals for EBEs equal to or not less than 5 percent of contracts and subcontracts.
Additionally, many emerging businesses have difficulty accessing the capital they need to develop products and hire workers. Under the EBE Act, the percentage of federal loan guaranty authority for SBA loans would increase from 50 percent for all small businesses to 65 percent for EBEs, providing a significant incentive for lenders to lend to these businesses.
"I believe we must support all job creators as our economy continues to recover, but there are significant differences between a startup with only a few employees and an established business with a few hundred employees and decades of experience," Carson said. "This legislation will help these emerging businesses overcome the unique challenges they face in their first few years of operation, and it will ensure these businesses are able to compete for federal contracts and gain access to critical small business loans."
This legislation will:
* Create a new designation for
* Establish a 5 percent federal contracting goal for
* Amend the SBA Express program under the Small Business Act to provide incentives for financial institutions to lend to
* Have a negligible impact on direct spending, as determined by the
Click here for a fact sheet with additional details about the Emerging Business Encouragement Act.http://carson.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congressman-carson-introduces-emerging-business-encouragement-act
TNS 30TacordaCheng-140618-4770265 30TacordaCheng
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast