The producer price for sugar has dropped by 9 percent to
"Sugarcane growers are currently being paid
"Last year the price declined towards the end of the selling season.
"We started at
"We hope that this year the price will firm for us to get more profit," he added.
The price of raw sugar in
Sugarcane growers in the Lowveld are this year anticipating an upsurge in production spurred by heavy rains received in the 2013-14 cropping season.
Growth in sugarcane yield is also driven by the increase in area planted from 44 818 hectares in the 2012/ 13 season to 50 000 hectares in the 2013 /14 season.
According to the African Development Bank Monthly Economic Review (January), sugarcane production in the Southern African country for the 2013 /14 cropping season was projected to grow 9 percent from the 2011 /12 season yield to 4 550 000 metric tonnes.
Harvesting of sugarcane in
Sugarcane is grown on a commercial scale in the south-eastern parts of the country, which include Chisumbanje in Manicaland province and Chiredzi in Masvingo province where more land is set to be availed soon following completion of the
Prior to the land reform programme in early 2 000, sugarcane production was a monopoly of Tongaat Hullet, a South African company that still controls the milling and marketing of the crop in the country.
Most Popular Stories
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China