News Column

Shawnee roundabout gets webcam, social media

June 18, 2014

By Heather Rutz, The Lima News, Ohio



June 18--SHAWNEE TOWNSHIP -- Drivers are going to be with the Shawnee roundabout construction for a while. They might as well get familiar with it.

The Allen County Engineer's Office is offering multiple the ways the public can keep up with progress at the site, county Engineer Tim Piper said Tuesday.

The office now offers a time-lapse camera taking photos every 30 minutes at the roundabout construction at Shawnee and Fort Amanda roads. Viewers who go to http://j.mp/roundaboutcam can opt to see the latest photo or watch a "movie" made from previous photos, Piper said.

The office also created a Shawnee Road Roundabout Project page on Facebook for photos and video of the work and will use Twitter for traffic updates.

Construction began last week as crews demolished a closed gas station and started survey work. This week, crews are doing excavation work in anticipation for sanitary and storm sewer work and temporary pavement installation that will happen next week, Piper said.

Ohio Department of Transportation is providing 80 percent of the funds toward the nearly $7 million project with the county using motor vehicle permissive license and gasoline taxes to pay the remaining 20 percent.

The intersection will be kept open, but there will be times a flagger is present to direct traffic through the intersection. Drivers should be using the roundabout by the end of the year, but the final layer of asphalt and landscaping won't be completed until 2015. The project has a completion date of Aug. 1, 2015. The project concludes 10 years of research and discussion.

___

(c)2014 The Lima News (Lima, Ohio)

Visit The Lima News (Lima, Ohio) at www.limaohio.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services


For more stories covering the world of technology, please see HispanicBusiness' Tech Channel



Source: Lima News (OH)


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters