"Something could happen this year," said one of the sources on condition of anonymity, Reuters reported.
Any deal would come amid heightened merger and acquisition activity that has been largely driven by US companies looking for overseas takeover targets with the aim of utilising lower tax rates abroad.
Shire shares are up 2.7% at
A spokesperson for Shire was not immediately available for comment.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia