"Something could happen this year," said one of the sources on condition of anonymity, Reuters reported.
Any deal would come amid heightened merger and acquisition activity that has been largely driven by US companies looking for overseas takeover targets with the aim of utilising lower tax rates abroad.
Shire shares are up 2.7% at
A spokesperson for Shire was not immediately available for comment.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street