NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Spanish-language version of Eve Ensler's groundbreaking play "The Vagina Monologues" has closed suddenly because of a slump in ticket sales.
Producers said Monday that "Los Monólogos de la Vagina" played its last performance Sunday at the Westside Theatre, where it first debuted in English in 1999. The latest edition struggled through just 15 previews and 33 regular performances.
In a statement, producers said "the show is not attracting the numbers needed to make this economically viable."
"The Vagina Monologues" is based on interviews with more than 200 women about their memories and experiences of sexuality. It has been translated into 35 languages and been performed by such stars as Glenn Close, Oprah Winfrey and Winona Ryder.
The show played 1,381 performances at the off-Broadway Westside from 1999 to 2003.
Original headline: Spanish-language version of Eve Ensler's 'The Vagina Monologues' stumbles off-Broadway
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare