THE government has said it is investing in a "first class" transport and logistics network to help it reduce the country's cost of doing business and improve competitiveness.
In the next financial year starting July, the government is targeting to raise Sh22.9 billion through the railway development levy that was introduced in the 2013/2014 budget read out last June.The money will be used to bolster the ongoing construction of the standard gauge railway.
The SGR is scheduled for completion and commissioning in 2017.
The RDL performed better than expected in the current financial year bringing in Sh14.6 billion in the nine months of the fiscal year against the set Sh9.9 billion.
In the national budget statement published yesterday, the government says it is also finalising modalities for financing a commuter rail linking the
Other than JKIA which is considered key to
Part of the money will also be used to build three new airports in Mandera, Malindi and Suneka in Kisii county.
Of all the infrastructural projects lined up for the 2014/2015 financial year, the government will spend heavily on improvement of the road network according to the budget statement issued by National Treasury Cabinet secretary
In total the government has set aside Sh116.7 billion to be spent on road network alone as follows: Sh41 billion for completion of ongoing road constructions countrywide, Sh22.4 billion for roads maintenance, Sh42.3 billion for other major road construction especially those connecting
Other projects to benefit from the roads fund include Sh1 billion towards decongestion of road junctions in
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter
- House GOP Leaders Abandon Immigrant Bill
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- Market Loses All of July's Gains in One Day
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Voter IDs Must Be Free