The Pakistan Economy Watch (PEW) on Thursday criticized new taxation measures introduced in the budget as it will open floodgates of inflation and corruption.
Revised sales tax (ST) rate from 16 per cent to 17 per cent will add to the Miseries of dejected masses therefore this decision merits revision, said
Contrary to the claims of the new government, budget offered no relief for general pubic, who will see hike in prices of all commodities within days, He added.
Giving an example, he said that
This will discourage consumption of sugar which will be very dangerous for insecure and malnourished poor. Government can consider slapping different slabs on domestic and commercial sugar consumers, he said.
He said that increased ST will not help government raise a lot of revenue but it will add to illicit income of tax officials as augmented ST has direct relation with evasion. There is no ST on sugar in
Government has claimed to settle circular debt in sixty days but not informed how it plans to do so, he said.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan