The Pakistan Economy Watch (PEW) on Thursday criticized new taxation measures introduced in the budget as it will open floodgates of inflation and corruption.
Revised sales tax (ST) rate from 16 per cent to 17 per cent will add to the Miseries of dejected masses therefore this decision merits revision, said
Contrary to the claims of the new government, budget offered no relief for general pubic, who will see hike in prices of all commodities within days, He added.
Giving an example, he said that
This will discourage consumption of sugar which will be very dangerous for insecure and malnourished poor. Government can consider slapping different slabs on domestic and commercial sugar consumers, he said.
He said that increased ST will not help government raise a lot of revenue but it will add to illicit income of tax officials as augmented ST has direct relation with evasion. There is no ST on sugar in
Government has claimed to settle circular debt in sixty days but not informed how it plans to do so, he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian