US authorities - five of them in all, including the
BNP may have to pay a fine of about
The French government has said that such a fine would be "disproportionate". Asked if the fine was going to be less than
Sources familiar with the matter said last week that negotiations had gathered pace recently.
It would also hit BNP's core equity tier one ratio, a measure of a bank's ability to endure stress and market shocks, forcing it down about 100 basis points from the current 10.6 percent, the analysts said.
Sources familiar with the matter say the American authorities are trying to establish whether the French bank stripped out identifying information from wire transfers so they could pass through the American financial system without raising red flags.
"What is being criticised by the US authorities is the violation of a strictly American law.
"The same acts committed in
"That said, it is the American law; it should have been respected." - Reuters
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Ford is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'