The initial weakness on
Selling pressure waned not long after the open, however, with a batch of upbeat US economic data helping to limit the downside.
The subsequent recovery reflects better than expected readings on
Considerable strength has emerged among electronic storage stocks, as reflected by the 3.9% gain being posted by the NYSE Arca Disk Drive Index.
Utilities stocks are also seeing significant strength, with Williams (WMB) posting a standout gain after agreeing to pay nearly
Most of the other major sectors are showing only modest moves as traders look ahead to the Federal Reserve's monetary policy announcement on Wednesday.
Currently, the major averages are posting modest gains, near their best levels of the day. The Dow is up 15.35 points or 0.1% at 16,791.09, the Nasdaq is up 14.91 points or 0.4% at 4,325.56 and the S&P 500 is up 4.75 points or 0.3% at 1,940.91.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- Female Business Owners Still Face Gender Gap
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies