The U.S. dollar fell to the upper
The euro was quoted at
In addition to the crisis in
"Risky areas have broadened. It's difficult not to become risk-off in this situation," he said.
A fall in
The 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average tumbled 164.55 points, or 1.09 percent, from Friday to 14,933.29, its lowest finish in about two weeks.
The dollar's decline to the
But trading was relatively slow as market players refrained from making bold bets before the Federal Reserve's two-day policy meeting starting Tuesday, dealers said.
It is widely expected that the Fed will decide to further slow the pace of its stimulus spending and market players will be looking for hints as to when the Fed will start raising interest rates, said
"We've seen not only falls in the (U.S.) unemployment rate but also pickups in prices recently. How the Fed will take into account these factors will be the biggest point to watch," he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment