He had a varied acting career but will perhaps be best remembered for his clipped, English officer-class delivery in the title role to the 1960s puppet series, a follow-up to Thunderbirds. As the opening credits announced: "This man will be our hero, for fate will make him indestructible - Captain Scarlet."
Matthews later admitted he based the character's voice on a party-piece impression of
He started his career in repertory theatre in
In 1962, Matthews met fellow actor
Obituary, page 35 =
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad