Manaus, Brazil, Jun 14 (EFE).- Claudio Marchisio and Mario Balotelli scored goals, helping Italy beat England 2-1 in World Cup action in Manaus, Brazil.
The match closed out the first day of play in Group D, which is led by Costa Rica, thanks to its 3-1 win over Uruguay.
Marchisio scored in minute 35 and England's Daniel Sturridge evened it up three minutes later.
Balotelli nailed a header in minute 50 to seal the win for Italy.
Ivory Coast, meanwhile, defeated Japan 2-1 in a Group C match played in Rio de Janeiro that wrapped up the third day of play at the World Cup on Saturday.
Kenisuke Honda put Japan on the scoreboard in minute 15, but Ivory Coast came back after halftime determined to take control of the game.
Wilfried Bony scored in minute 64 and Gervinho added another score a minute later for Ivory Coast, with both goals coming on headers. EFE
Original headline: Italy, Ivory Coast Advance at World Cup
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration