"Creating video in DVD-Video and Blu-ray formats requires the proper hardware, media and specific file structures," stated Tak Ebine, C.E.O. of
It has been over 20 years since DVD-Video attained widespread adoption, and since then personal computers have advanced in capacity and power but there is still no widespread video menu format other than DVD-Video and Blu-ray. However, these formats mostly rely on physical media and a drive capable of playing and writing to such media. Because of this limitation, capacity is limited which can also affect video quality, not to mention the time it takes to write data to disc media.
Those limitations in mind, Pegasys set out to create software with a new format that makes it possible to create content with these specific goals in mind: it must be easy to transport and easy to watch. Thus, TMPGEnc PGMX CREATOR and the proprietary format, PGMX, were born.
The PGMX Format
PGMX is short for Pegasys Multimedia Box. Developed by Pegasys, it can store both menu and video content into a single file (.pgmx / .mkv). The video stream is H.264/AVC, and since the file does not depend on physical media such as DVD and Blu-ray discs, it is not limited to certain video characteristics. For example, an MP4 video can be used from a smart phone which typically may not be DVD or Blu-ray compliant, or users can even use videos in 4K Ultra HD resolution (4096 x 2304). PGMX files give users the freedom to keep videos at a quality level and resolution of their choosing. PGMX files can also utilize a navigational menu system that can link to multiple videos within the file. Since both the menu and videos are combined into one file, there is no complex folder structure like those found in the DVD-Video and Blu-ray formats. Having everything in just one file makes it easy to use, copy and transport.
PGMX files are playable with the free software, TMPGEnc PGMX PLAYER, allowing anyone to easily play a PGMX file. Once a PGMX file is created with TMPGEnc PGMX CREATOR, it can be played immediately with TMPGEnc PGMX PLAYER which must be downloaded separately. Menu navigation works similar to DVD and Blu-ray so anyone can enjoy PGMX files, even if they don't have TMPGEnc PGMX CREATOR software.
Creating PGMX Files
Creating a PGMX file in TMPGEnc PGMX CREATOR is easy. On-screen instructions guide users through the creation wizard. The intuitive interface allows users to edit video, add chapters, subtitles and more with no difficulty at all. Also featured is an easy-to-use menu creation tool that allows users to create a menu even with little to no experience. One may select a menu template and follow the instructions to complete a menu in as little as 5 seconds. Menus can be customized by adding new elements, buttons and backgrounds, or editing the titles and chapter names. There is also a custom menu mode, where users can build the menu from the ground up, instead of using a template.
If the video / audio format conforms to the PGMX file format, the video can be output using smart rendering. Smart rendering allows the video/audio to remain mostly untouched during output, thereby avoiding re-encoding which could result in a loss of quality. Only the points during the video that were edited are re-encoded; all unchanged parts remain untouched. By not encoding the entire video file, output is extremely fast and quality remains at the original level.
• Native input support for the latest file formats such as H.264 stream FLV, MOV files, and WebM.
• Menu creation wizard.
• Create slideshows.
• Add transition effects.
• Create menu components.
• MPEG-2TS file analysis capabilities to identify mixed resolution multi-stream files.
• Utilizes the x264 video encoder.
• Smart rendering (lossless output) for compliant formats.
• Add and edit up to 8 subtitle streams.
• Add and edit up to 4 audio streams.
• Intel® Media SDK / CUDA™ support for H.264 decoding and encoding.
• Free TMPGEnc PGMX PLAYER software available (separate download).
The recognized leaders in developing quality video encoding tools for MPEG applications,
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/06/prweb11938848.htm
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million