ENP Newswire -
Release date- 12062014 -
The 30-minute documentary centered on the world premiere of 'Awakening,' a composition by visiting artist
Sharifi, born to an Iranian father and American mother, composed the piece in commemoration of the Arab Spring, the pivotal wave of democratic uprisings that shook the Arab world in 2011.
'We were honored to have a distinguished composer like Sharifi work with our talented student musicians through the Visiting Artists Program, and are now doubly fortunate to have such a momentous production captured in an award-winning documentary by the exceptional team at AMPS,' says
The Emmy Award shines a spotlight on a widely used campus service: AMPS films and broadcasts more than 2,000 events a year, from
'The work we get to do is as varied as the Institute is,' says
Collaboration was at the heart of the documentary's success: 'As is the case with many successful endeavors at
The documentary team included director
'To capture something like the Arab Spring in all its complexity - the good and the bad, the uncertainty, the pain and the promise - in a piece of music is really amazing,' Boebel says. The incredible story - of both the performance and the events that inspired it - made for an ideal documentary subject, he adds.
The documentary, which was first envisioned by Harris, was commissioned by
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row