The choppy trading on
Some negative sentiment has been generated by news that Islamic militants have captured significant territory in
However, traders have also reacted positively to news that
While most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves in response to the mixed catalysts, notable weakness has emerged among gold stocks. The NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index is down by 1.5% after moving sharply higher over the past few sessions.
Housing stocks are also seeing some early weakness, while strength is visible among semiconductor and computer hardware stocks.
Currently, the major averages are posting modest losses on the day. The Dow is down 11.04 points or 0.1% at 16,723.15, the Nasdaq is down 7.05 point or 0.2% at 4,290.58 and the S&P 500 is down 1.81 points or 0.1% at 1,928.30.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks