Canadian Press DataFile (Published: 13-Jun 2014 12:55 PM, Received: 12:56:15 PM)
By The Associated Press
Word Count: 156
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Kathy Griffin is taking her comedy online as host of the Daytime Emmy awards as the event heads to a new home on the Internet.
The 41st annual awards will be presented June 22 from the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills.
Griffin joked that her only regret is that the epic evening will distract millions of viewers from enjoying this year's World Cup.
The awards were televised on the HLN cable network the past two years. But when the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences and various cable outlets couldn't strike a deal, the academy decided to move the show online.
Awards will be handed out in 25 categories, including several new ones, during the live stream.
The academy hopes to attract more worldwide fans through social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook, Google Hangout, Twitter, Vine and Instagram.
Daytime Emmy Awards: www.daytimeemmys.net
Original headline: Comic Kathy Griffin to host Daytime Emmys as awards show moves from TV to Internet
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Exxon Profit Rises, Production Drops
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO