Canadian Press DataFile (Published: 13-Jun 2014 12:55 PM, Received: 12:56:15 PM)
By The Associated Press
Word Count: 156
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Kathy Griffin is taking her comedy online as host of the Daytime Emmy awards as the event heads to a new home on the Internet.
The 41st annual awards will be presented June 22 from the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills.
Griffin joked that her only regret is that the epic evening will distract millions of viewers from enjoying this year's World Cup.
The awards were televised on the HLN cable network the past two years. But when the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences and various cable outlets couldn't strike a deal, the academy decided to move the show online.
Awards will be handed out in 25 categories, including several new ones, during the live stream.
The academy hopes to attract more worldwide fans through social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook, Google Hangout, Twitter, Vine and Instagram.
Daytime Emmy Awards: www.daytimeemmys.net
Original headline: Comic Kathy Griffin to host Daytime Emmys as awards show moves from TV to Internet
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges