"Republicans showed today that they care more about preserving tax cuts for billionaires than they do about helping struggling student loan borrowers. This filibuster was a major setback for the millions of students and graduates burdened by overwhelming levels of debt--debt which can consume paychecks and delay important family milestones like buying a home. I will keep fighting to lower payments for these borrowers, and to give middle-class families a fair shot at economic security."
The Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act, S. 2432, would have allowed student loan borrowers - including an estimated 88,000 Rhode Islanders - to refinance their loans at lower interest rates available to current borrowers. This debt relief would have been paid for by implementing Senator Whitehouse's
Read this original document at: http://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/news/release/senator-whitehouse-slams-gop-for-blocking-student-debt-relief
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years