The federal government has been advised to explore the abundant opportunities of the Internet to further develop the country and empower Nigerian youths.
The advice was given by technology stakeholders at a two-day
Stakeholders urged the federal government to come up with strategic programme for youth development especially as it relates to the internet. Internet access, they said, remained key to national development and an enabler for job creation.
Internet goes beyond social platform, but could be used for business development and wealth creation if properly harnessed, they said collectively.
Speaking on the untapped benefits of the Internet by the Nigerian youths, the former Director-General of the
Angaye equally challenged Nigerian youths to explore new Internet application that would offer rich digital experiences on the go.
African Regional Coordinator,
Executive Vice-Chairman of the
Speaking on the theme of the forum, "Harnessing Multi-stakeholders' Framework for Internet Governance and Economic Growth", the Minister of Communications Technology, Dr.
The minister said that her ministry in the last three years has focused on facilitating a universal access to communication infrastructure, promoting the utilisation of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in all spheres of life, as well as promoting and facilitating the development of the ICT sector and its contribution to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the country.
"Already, our efforts are yielding results as depicted by the recent figures, which show that 63 million Nigerians now connect to the Internet through the major telecoms networks," Johnson said.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia