Researchers at the University of California,
Lithium ion batteries are the rechargeable battery of choice for portable electronic devices and electric vehicles, but they present problems.
Batteries in electric vehicles are responsible for a significant portion of the vehicle mass. And the size of batteries in portable electronics limits the trend of downsizing,
Silicon is a type of anode material that is receiving a lot of attention because its total charge capacity is 10 times higher than commercial graphite-based lithium ion battery anodes. Consider a packaged battery full-cell.
Replacing the commonly used graphite anode with silicon anodes will potentially result in a 63-percent increase in total cell capacity and a battery that is 40 percent lighter and smaller.
Lithium ion batteries based on this architecture demonstrate a high reversible capacity and excellent cycling stability. It demonstrates excellent electrochemical stability and irreversibility even at high charge and discharge rates, nearly 16 times faster than conventionally used graphite based anodes.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Advocacy Group Calls for Chrysler Probe
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers