The chief operating officer of
BNP did not mention the investigation in its announcement. It said the 64-year-old's departure, in less than three weeks, was at his own request and would allow him to comply with new French bank regulations on the number of directorships he can hold.
US authorities are investigating whether BNP evaded US sanctions between 2002 and 2009 and whether it stripped out identifying information from wire transfers so they could pass through the US financial system without raising red flags. Reuters
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July