Data from the
The ILO unemployment rate came in at 6.6% compared to 7.2% during November to January and 7.8% during the same period, last year. The expected rate was 6.7%.
There were 1.09 million people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance in May, down 27,400 from April. Economists had forecast a decrease of 25,000. The claimant count fell to 3.2% in May, in line with forecast, from 3.3% in April.
The pound hit a 1-1/2-year high of 0.8052 against the euro from an early low of 0.8084. If the pound extends its gain, it is likely to find resistance around the 0.79 zone.
The pound climbed to a 5-day high of 1.5127 against the Swiss franc, from an early low of 1.5056. The next possible upside target level for the pound is seen at 1.52.
The pound that climbed to 171.79 against the yen, eased to 171.24. The pound is thus nearing its early multi-day low of 171.21. The pair closed yesterday's deals at 171.44.
After falling to multi-day low of 1.6736 against the US dollar in early deals, the pound reversed direction and was trading higher at 1.6796. If the pound extend its uptrend, it is likely to find resistance around the 1.68 zone.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- Exxon Profit Rises, Production Drops