The technical assistance will help transport operators select, operate, manage, and continually improve the clean buses to be leased in at least 15 PRC cities under an
"The grant will ensure that the potential environmental, social, and economic benefits of the
With rapid urban growth in the PRC accelerating the rate of car ownership--bringing with it increased congestion and air pollution--national and local governments see promotion of public transport as a priority. Recent instances of severe air pollution are adding to the urgency to replace older diesel bus fleets and adopt clean bus technology.
Clean buses must meet stringent emissions and energy efficiency criteria, running on cleaner fuels such as compressed or liquefied natural gas or biomethane or involving hybrid or electric motors.
Under the clean bus leasing program,
However, international studies show that factors such as poor driving and inadequate maintenance of buses can increase fuel consumption by an average of 10%-15% and that poor selection of vehicle type and management erodes potential savings.
The grant project will develop manuals and other information materials on bus selection, management and information technology systems for energy-efficient operation, performance monitoring programs, and other training programs.
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140612-30FurigayJane-4763778 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel