"Risk management plans are critical components of safety programs designed to prevent chemical accidents," said
Inspectors also found that on
* Certify annually that its operating procedures were current and accurate.
* Provide refresher training to employees to assure they understand and adhere to the operating procedures.
* Ensure that the frequency of inspections and tests of equipment were consistent with good engineering practices and manufacturer recommendations.
* Conduct a compliance audit every three years.
* Track and implement the facility's own recommendations from its most recent draft compliance audit report.
The action is taken under the Clean Air Act's risk management plan regulations. The risk management plan requirements include developing a hazard assessment detailing the potential effects of an accidental release; a prevention program that includes safety precautions and maintenance, monitoring, and employee training measures; and an emergency response program that spells out emergency health care, employee training measures and procedures for informing the public and local response agencies should an accident occur.
When properly implemented, risk management plans help prevent chemical releases and minimize their potential impacts at facilities that store large amounts of hazardous substances and flammable chemicals. Facilities are required to update and resubmit their risk management plan at least once every five years, which is used by the
For more information on the Risk Management Program, please visit: www.epa.gov/emergencies/content/rmp/index.htm.
TNS 30BautistaJude 140612-4763945 30BautistaJude
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street