Alexander Votes NO on "Wasting a Week on a Political Stunt While Veterans are Standing in Line at Clinics Waiting for Us to Act"
"College graduates don't need a
"This 'no' vote means 'no' to a week-long political stunt, 'no' to debt and taxes, 'yes' to moving today to a bipartisan solution to the problem of veterans standing in line at clinics. 'Yes' to appropriation bills after that deal with cancer research and national defense and the other urgent needs of our country, also in a bipartisan way. 'Yes' to the way the
Alexander added: "This is not a serious proposal. It's not going to help people. College graduates don't need a
On Friday, the
Alexander, a former U.S. Secretary of Education and former President of the
In remarks before this morning's
"Why do I say this is not a serious proposal?" Alexander asked. "Everybody in the
"Number two, what does it do for people who used to be in college, who might have a loan they're paying off" According to data supplied by the
Undergraduates make up 85 percent of all student loans and their average loan debt is
"Probably the best investment you'll ever make.
Alexander this week outlined solutions to the real problem with student loans.
"Most of the real problem with student loans today is over-borrowing by some students, mostly by graduate students. According to
He offered "real solutions for such over-borrowing." These include:
. Simplifying the student loan program so that more students are able to take advantage of the affordable repayment options that already exist in current law.
. Eliminating the Graduate PLUS program that provides virtually unlimited loans to graduate students regardless of their credit history
. Prohibiting part-time students from taking out the same amount of loans that full-time students can
. Giving colleges and universities the ability to require counseling and limit the amount students can take out in federal loans.
. There are also proposals to require colleges and universities to put some "skin in the game" to ensure that students can repay their loans.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe